Although QuickBooks accounting software helps streamline your business’s accounting process, it still has certain snags that can disturb your work. The error of QuickBooks has stopped working or not working is one such irritating error that is quite challenging for the normal user to solve. When you see QuickBooks’ annoying error message of not responding, stopped working or not opening while opening QuickBooks Desktop, you should not lose your patience.
This blog answers all your worries as here you can learn about not working error of QuickBooks in detail. Here you will see why this error occurs in the first place, its symptoms, and how to fix QuickBooks not responding error.
What Causes The Error?
Wondering why QuickBooks has stopped working? Fret not! Go through these points to learn about the reasons which are responsible for the occurrence of this error:
- When the name of the company file is very long
- The QBWUSER.INI file is missing, corrupt or damaged.
- When your hard drive gets corrupted
- It can occur when your operating system is damaged.
- Corrupted or damaged program files might cause this error.
- Some third-party software restricts the working of QuickBooks.
Signs & Symptoms of QuickBooks Stopped Working Error
Now the question of the hour is how to identify this error? Check these symptoms to identify the QuickBooks not responding error in your system:
- When your system automatically shut down.
- Your computer screen freezes and is not working.
- QuickBooks will not respond to your inputs.
- Trouble opening the QuickBooks software.
How to Stop It from Happening?
QuickBooks not working error is frustrating at times when you have to prepare your payroll sheet. This error can be problematic if not resolved on time because it can affect your work. Check these quick tips to fix QuickBooks stopped working error:
- Make sure to use the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop software.
- The regional settings of your Windows should be set to US locale.
Steps to fix QuickBooks Not Working or Not Responding Error
However, before you begin the solution steps, you should know that this error is specific to Windows OS. To fix QuickBooks not responding error, you need to be cautious while implementing the steps mentioned in this guide.
Solution 1: Download and use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool (QBInstall Tool)
Use of QBInstall diagnostic tool is designed specially to fix QuickBooks Desktop not working error and other common QuickBooks errors.
- Go to the official Intuit website to download QB Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Save this file at the place where QuickBooks is installed.
- After closing all the running application of your system, run the QBInstall Tool.
- After all the Windows components are updated, you must restart your computer system.
Solution 2: Reboot your PC and Temporarily Disable Your Antivirus Software
- You have first to reboot your computer.
- Now try to open QuickBooks Desktop software.
- If the error persists, you can temporarily disable the antivirus of your system.
Solution 3: Rename the QBWUSER.INI File
Renaming the QBWUSER.ini file will erase the company file list that was previously opened.
- Open your system and then go to My Computer > C Drive.
- Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\ [Your user name]\ Local Settings\Application Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [Year]
- Right-click on the QBWUSER.ini file to select the option of Rename
- Here, you have to put .old at the end of the file name like QBUSER.ini.old.
- You need even to rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
- If you can open the company file from the new location, then it means error may arise from a damaged folder.
- Check whether your company file is damaged or not if you failed to sign-in to the Company file.
- If the file is damaged, you need to restore the backup of that company file.
Solution 4: Reinstall QuickBooks Using Clean Install
The Clean Install tool will help you get the latest QuickBooks update to fix QuickBooks Desktop not working error and all other errors.
- First, open QuickBooks Tool Hub > Installation Issues
- Then select the Clean Install Tool and click on the OK button.
- After that, you have to choose which QuickBooks version and its product version you want to install.
- Click Continue, and then you will see the prompt saying” Please install the QuickBooks copy to the default location.”
Solution 5: Create a New Admin User for QuickBooks
- Click on the Start button on your Windows and then open Control Panel.
- After that, you have to click on the link of ‘Add or Remove User Accounts’> Manage Accounts > Create a New Account.
- You need to enter the ‘Account Name’ and then select the option of ‘Create Admin Account.’
- In the end, click on ‘Create Account’ and Voilà you have successfully created a new user on your Windows.
Solution 6: Open the Company File From A Different Folder Location (If Other Files or Sample File Do Open)
You can open your file from the new folder location as this can resolve the QuickBooks not responding error to some extent.
- Open the Windows and E key together to open a new window in your Computer.
- You have to search for the data file which has a .qbw extension.
- Go to the network drive where the data file is located and then right-click on it to select the Copy option.
- Now make a new folder named as QBTEST in the C: drive of your system.
- You need to paste the company file in this QBTEST folder.
- Open the QuickBooks software while holding the CTRL-key.
- Select the option of ‘Open or Restore an Existing Company’ and go through the created C:\QBTEST
- At last, can open the company file which you have copied in QBTEST folder.
Implementing any of the aforementioned solution steps will help you resolve the QuickBooks not working or not responding error. When none of these steps works in your favor, then you are free to reach out to the QuickBooks support team. The support team will make sure to work on your error of QuickBooks not responding promptly. You can also dial the helpline number mentioned on the website to speak with the trained technical experts.